Step 1 : Chicken first.
- Clean the chicken wings, using lemon or vinegar if possible. Make small cuts in the wings using a knife to allow the seasoning to penetrate
- Pat dry the chicken wings with paper towel, and transfer to a bowl
- Add salt, black pepper, white pepper, and combine well. Let sit for at least one hour.
- After seasoning has penetrated well, heat the oil in a medium skillet and over medium high heat
- Add the all-purpose flour in the chicken and mix well to coat
- Place the chicken wings in the skillet and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side. This is not intended to cook the chicken thoroughly
- Remove from pan and set aside
Step 2 : Cook the Yassa.
- In a medium bowl, combine 2/3 of the oil, the lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and green seasoning
- Add the chicken wings and 2/3 of the sliced onions in the mixture and combine well. Let sit for 3 hours or more
- When ready to cook the Yassa, pre-heat the oven to 400 F
- Place the chicken wings in the oven . To do this, line the baking sheet with aluminum foil, place the oven drying rack on top, and line with parchment paper.
- Reserve the onion mixture
- Bake for about 20 minutes until light brown, flipping halfway for even color throughout. Set aside
- Heat the remaining oil in a medium pan under medium high heat. Add the remaining 1/3 onions, the garlic and scallions. Sauté for a couple minutes
- Add the onion mixture and reduce the heat to medium low. Season with salt, black pepper, cumin, and all-purpose seasoning
- Cook for about 30 minutes, while stirring every now and then to avoid sticking. Add water little by little as needed. A little water goes a long way
- Add the chicken pieces and the scotch bonnet pepper. Add water if needed; then, cook for another 10 minutes
- Serve with white rice and enjoy!
- You can also make Yassa with red meat or fish